Creamoata

I was very sad to read recently about the demise of Flemings Creamoata, a long time staple of any civilized breakfast table. I loved the Fine Ground Creamoata - porridge made with it had the consistency of pudding - smooth & creamy.

Anyway I wrote to Nestle and asked for the “recipe“ and was pleased to receive a reply the same day - with details of how to make my own Creamoata - thanks Danielle from Customer Services !
”Recipe“ is not quite the right word as it turns out, since Creamoata is just Rolled Oats that has been milled to a fine consistency - so more like ”Processing Instructions“.

Here are the instructions:

Medium Ground Creamoata
Place Rolled Oats in a food processor and process on highest speed for approximately 4 minutes.

Fine Ground Creamoata
Place Rolled Oats in a food processor and process on highest speed for approximately 8 minutes.

Easy eh? Don’t fill the food processor more than about 1/2 full.

Here’s my favorite recipe for preparing Creamoata oats for breakfast:

Ingredients:
1/3 cup Creamoata
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup cold milk
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 mashed banana
A few raisins (optional)

Cooking
Add 1/2 cup of cold water and 1/2 cup of cold milk to 1/3 cup Creamoata in a small saucepan while stirring with a whisk.
Add salt, mashed banana and raisins.
Bring to the boil slowly, stirring constantly. Simmer for 1 and a half to 2 minutes stirring and serve.

Serve with Dark Muscovado Sugar and extra milk.
Dark Muscovado is an acquired taste, so regular Brown Sugar will do if your taste is unsophisticated :-)

One trap for young players when cooking with Creamoata is how quickly it will thicken - and will quickly result in a blobby mess if you don’t watch it. This is why I suggest stirring with a whisk rather than a spoon or fork.

Enjoy ...

Comments

Jenn said…
THANK YOU!!!! I have mourned the loss of creamota over the last few years and have wondered if I could "make" it myself, thank you for asking the question and sharing the answer. ;)
Robyn said…
This information is awesome! My father has eaten rolled oats for many years and now that he is needing to eat a diet of finer consistency, as the result of aging, I was shocked to see that we can't get Creamota any more. I have just wizzed it in the food processor, and it is awesome!! Thank you!
Unknown said…
Anyone with any sense misses creamoata and I too was sad to see it gone. Do they not know that It's a New Zealand icon up there with marmite and weetbix. I too found the Nestle solution of blending regular porridge oats in a food processor for 7-8 minutes. Now that there's only me at home that has it I just put the oats through the coffee/spice grinder as I can make just the right amount for a serving and it's a lot faster than using a blender. I did however get a bit carried away last night and did a whole packet of porridge into creamoata so I think that I'm set for winter now. Strongly recommend a coffee/spice grinder as a quick solution to the blending time.
Dee Cee said…
SOOOOOO pleased to read I'm not alone in my obsession in trying to find Creamota.
Thank you for asking how to refine Oats to reach the consistency. On the back of the pack,
In Australia, there was a recipe for pancakes. My four children grew up on Creamota
Pancakes and I so wanted to make them for my grandchildren. Thanks you have made me
VERY happy :) Denise
Unknown said…
I was just about to ask on my Facebook page, and found this blog.
Thanks for the info. Will try it today and suprise hubby for breakfast tomorrow.
Unknown said…
As an American boy visiting my Kiwi grandparents' farm in the Waikato, I would eat Creamota every morning for breakfast. When I visited a few years ago (I'm in my 30s now), I I couldn't find it anywhere. Wanted to leave my thanks to the author of this blog as it's allowed me to reconnect with my childhood and NZ roots, even if it's just through a simple meal. Thanks and cheers from the US!
Unknown said…
Thanks for info re processing for 8 minutes. I wasn't doing it for long enough. Very happy to find a post about Creamota! I've lived in Australia for 35 years now and every time winter rolls around, I try to recreate my Kiwi porridge that I grew up on back in NZ ! The simple things of life ...
HelenB said…
Hi. This is 8 years after your original post and us Kiwis are still looking for Creamota the breakfast I grew up on.. thank you so much for your information I will be zapping my box of oats and enjoying fond memories
From a grateful Kiwi living in Australia..

Popular posts from this blog

Windows FILETIME to Javascript Date

Using an Async Iterator in Typescript